Building Permits

House and blueprint

Building Permits - What are they?

A building permit is your formal permission to begin construction or demolition. It means that the City of Dryden has approved plans for any new structure, addition or renovation. Approved plans must comply with the Ontario Building Code, local zoning by-laws, and other applicable laws and regulations. It is unlawful to start construction or demolition of a building, as defined in the building code, before you get a permit.

Building permits regulate types of construction allowed in the community and ensure that building standards are met. The building permit process protects each homeowner’s interests, as well as those of the community at large, and provides for the erection of safe structures. Permits help ensure that any structural change is safe, legal and sound.

In many cases, your contractor will get permits on your behalf. But remember, it is the building owner who is ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements.

You need a building permit if you plan to:

 1. Construct a new building
 2. Renovate, repair or add to a building
 3. Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
 4. Change a building’s use
 5. Install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
 6. Make new openings for, or increase the size of, doors and windows
 7. Build a garage, balcony or deck
    (NOTE: deck floor joists must be 2" x 8" minimum and be pressure or preservative treated)
 8. Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
 9. Damp-proof basements, including new weeping tile or replacement of existing weeping tile
10. Install or modify heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems or fireplaces
11. Reconstruct a chimney.

You do not need a permit to:

 1. Replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines
 2. Install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
 3. Build a roofless deck not higher than 0.6 meters (24 inches) above adjacent grade and the walking surface of the deck, and that is not attached to a building
 4. Build a utility shed or structure without plumbing under 10 square metres (107.6 sq. ft.)
 5. Re-shingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
 6. Install eavestroughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property
 7. Replace or increase insulation, dry-wall or plaster
 8. Paint or decorate
 9. Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
10. Erect a fence (except for swimming pools, outside pools require permits)

For any electrical work contact the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) at 1-877-372-7233

What happens if you do not get a permit?

If you start construction but do not have the necessary permits, you may be ordered to stop work, prosecuted, and even ordered to remove work already done. Contact the building department if you are not sure whether you need a permit for your project.

How long does it take to obtain a Building Permit? The time required for the processing of a building permit application varies in accordance with the type and size of the project, quality and completeness of submitted plans, the degree of compliance of the plans with applicable regulations, and the current workload of staff. However, a building permit can typically be issued within 5 to 10 business days after receipt of a completed application.

Who will review permit plans? Permit plans will be reviewed by building services staff for compliance with the zoning by-law, Ontario Building Code and other related standards and by-laws. Staff of the fire department & public works department will review the proposal with respect to grading, drainage, vehicle access and road design.

Building Inspections - When and Why?
Building inspectors review projects during key stages of construction to ensure work complies with the Building Code and the approved plans. Inspectors may visit several times, depending on the project; they must be able to see the part of the work under inspection. Inspectors require a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 48 hours notice to book an inspection.

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

The applicant must file an application in writing on the prescribed application form. A copy of the application form is available for download at the bottom of this page. Every application must be signed by the applicant. The applicant must be the owner of a building or property or a person authorized in writing by the owner to apply for a permit on the owner’s behalf. Every application must be accompanied by prescribed plans and specifications and the applicable permit fee payable to the City of Dryden.

What are the fees required when applying for a Building Permit?

Building permit fees for new construction, additions or renovations are typically calculated based on the square footage of the construction project. However, the Building By-law specifies a variety of fees that cover many classes of permits including designated structures and miscellaneous categories. If your proposed construction does not fall into any of the common building permit fee categories below, contact the building department directly to determine applicable fees.

New Construction, Additions or Renovations Calculated by Building Area:
$0.60 per square foot ($6.46 per square metre) for new buildings and additions.
$0.30 per square foot ($3.23 per square metre) for renovations to existing buildings.
$0.20 per square foot ($2.15 per square metre) for attached or detached garages or carports, sheds, unenclosed decks, porches and verandas.
minimum permit fee is $30.00 for residential and $100.00 for all other zones.

Construction, Alterations or Renovations Impractical to Calculate by Building Area: Occasionally, the work regulated by a permit cannot be calculated by building area. In those instances the permit fee will be calculated based on the value of the work proposed as follows:

$8.00 per $1,000.00 of construction value
the minimum permit fee is $30.00 for residential and $100.00 for all other zones.

Demolition Permit Fee:


Plumbing Permit Fees:

Generally, the building permit fee includes plumbing work associated with the construction, however, in those instances where the scope of work involves only plumbing work the fee is calculated based on $10.00 per fixture or drain, with a minimum permit fee of $30.00

What type of permit information is required?

Permit plans must contain sufficient information to determine whether the proposed work conforms to all applicable regulations. Site plans should be referenced to a current plan of survey certified by a registered Ontario Land Surveyor. A copy of the survey plan, if available, should be submitted with the building permit application for any major project. For minor additions and alterations, site plan sketches showing outlines and dimensions of the property, driveways, existing and proposed buildings are usually acceptable. Where required by the Ontario Building Code, plans must be prepared by a qualified designer holding a valid building code Identification number (BCIN), or sealed and signed by an Architect, Professional Engineer, or both. Permit applications will not be accepted when the submitted plans are inadequate or incomplete. Plans may be submitted in either imperial or metric measurements.

Who will obtain required approvals from other agencies?

It is the responsibility of the applicant to secure required approvals from other agencies (where applicable), prior to the issuance of a building permit. Building services staff will advise the applicant of any required approvals from other government agencies upon review of the permit application. ( Eg. Health Unit Approval for septic systems.)

Where do I apply for a Building Permit?

You can make an application for any type of permit during regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon & 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Building & Planning Department located at City Hall, 30 Van Horne Avenue, Dryden, Ontario. For your convenience, a building permit application form is available below:

Dryden - Building Permit Application

For detached garage accessory buildings, in addition to a site plan sketch, the following form may be used to provide building details:

Detached Garage Form

Further Information

For further information on building permits or building permit fees, contact:

Bob Cunningham, C.E.T., C.B.C.O.
Chief Building Official
City of Dryden Building & Planning Department
30 Van Horne Avenue
Dryden, ON  P8N 2A7
Telephone: 807-223-1140
Fax: 807-223-6141